My Accomplishments in the 114th Congress
- Authoring the Resist Executive Amnesty on Defense Installations (READI) Act to prohibit illegal alien minors from being housed on Fort Hood or any other military base. This language was passed and signed into law under the National Defense Authorization Act of 2017 (NDAA FY17).
- Authoring and passing the POLICE Act, which increases access to active shooter training. This bill was signed into law by President Obama earlier this year.
- Securing Purple Hearts for the victims of the 2009 attack at Fort Hood. This was a long fought fight & we won by having his bill passed and signed into law by President Obama in 2015.
- Authoring language to permit concealed carry on military installations. This language was in the NDAA FY16 bill that was passed and signed by the President last year.
- After securing funding for its construction, we celebrated opening of Darnall Hospital at Fort Hood earlier this year. This is a state of the art facility that the men and women of our military have earned and deserve.
- Secured $61.5 million to upgrade barracks at Fort Hood. It is a basic principle of readiness in the US Army to have high quality housing at The Great Place.
- Secured $49.8 million for renovation of the 1st Cavalry headquarters at Fort Hood.
- Calling on the FBI to investigate the Veterans Administration, continuing to provide oversight of the investigation and cosponsoring the VA Accountability Act of 2015. The VA is in shambles, and through the relentless work of my team, improvements are slowly being made at our Central Texas VA facilities.
- Growing the Army’s troop strength and readiness to keep our nation safe. Through the NDAA of FY16 and FY17, I’ve supported increasing our military strength and readiness, voted for a pay increase for our soldiers, and expanded retirement opportunities.
- I partnered with the City of Taylor to improve the Taylor airport and spur economic growth and opportunity in eastern Williamson County.
- We’ve had significant highway projects completed in Central Texas, including SH-195 in Georgetown, SH-190 in Killeen, and I-35 in Salado.
- Secured funding to bolster the Killeen Police and Fire Departments.
- We’ve mitigated the impact on threatened salamanders due to growth and development throughout Williamson County.
- One of the most important jobs in a Congressional office is working on behalf of constituents in need of assistance with a government agency. In the past two years, our office has closed more than 3,100 cases on behalf of central Texans.
Another important duty of a Congressman is providing nominations to students in the district seeking appointments to U.S. military service academies. I’ve awarded 60 nominations to our nation’s military service academies.